Hawaii Trip, Returning to Japan - March

Introduction: After spending 20 years in the U.S., it's time for me to go home.

3/28 Leaving Houston

Moving out from the apartment, reporting to work

I woke up around 3:00am, put my sleeping bag and other items into trash bags. Did a light stretch then took all the items out to the trash bin. I had to make many trips to the bin and was sweating bad. Finish packing my belongings for the last time, loaded my bags and started the car, left home at 4:40am under dark sky, dropped off my keys at the apartment office's deposit box as I was leaving to work. I drove straight up north on Eldridge Pkwy for the last time while listening to the radio programs which I used to hear while I am heading home. I don't have to do anymore. Arrived at the office on schedule, parked my car and stayed in at the office until the time comes. (done)

To the Airport

Even today is the day I am departing, the company has a weired rule which prevent me from just take a day off because the last Friday was a company paid holiday (Good Friday). So I had to stay at the office for 30 minutes minumum. I Left the office at 5:05am and drove along feeder road toward the airport. It was dark, and the traffic was fairly moving fast so I had to put some efforts to move along. After passing I-45, I get on Beltway 8 and continued for the rest of the route, getting off from the beltway and drove on JFK Blvd, arrived at the airport's rental car center at ?. I now need to carry three bags in addition to my messenger bag, but I cannot miss any of them. Waited a little bit at upstairs for a shuttle bus which took me to the terminal C. Checked in at the counter and got my bags checked with my tickets in my hand. Walked to the security screening at 6:15am. The line was pretty long not sure how long it is going to take. Passed at 6:45pm so the boarding has began already. (done)

To LAX: UA1169 7:35AM(CDT) - 9:17AM(PDT)

My request for upgrade was granted so I will be in the business class. Walked to Gate 14 which is nearby the security check and I lined up behind the last person in group 1. I took  my seat at 7:05am and waited until 7:25am to closed the door. After a brief moment, the plane was pushed back at 7:35am and taxied to the west, it had to wait for a few planes in line to depart.
Our turn is here, the plane departed at 7:50am to the south as usual, passing the beltway as the plane was climbing. The plane was making a right turn, giving me the view toward the airport and changed the heading toward California,

The plane departed at 7:50am Took off to south as usual, making right turn as it ascend into the sky.

B787 at IAH 6:57am

Being pushed back

I know this is the last I see Houston, but no tears


I saw phoenix, AZ on the way, saw

The plane approached from the east side as usual, the place is under rain so the plane broke the cloud line then the

 Plane landed but had to wait off the runway until 9:05am local time. Stop and go after the finally moving at 9:15am Getting off from the plane around 9:25am.

To Honolulu: UA1224 11:03AM(PDT) - 2:10PM(HWI)

The gate to the connection was right next to the one which I just came out. Checking on the net and Getting on board at 10:30am, the entertainment system in the B737-900 was not that great so I guess I have few choices then. Door close at 11:05am, and get pushed back 12:28pm HNL time, 1,000 mile to go. Bumpy air expected. 2:25pm 230mi out. 2:40pm descend started from 30,000ft. Landing 12:35pm announcement

The plane flew south side of the island then flew around the Diamond Head then moved toward the airport. The plane lowered the altitude, flying over marsh like place then

As the plane approaches to the island,

 Landed at the airport at ? The plane taxied for a while

Half Day At Hawaii

After the plane arrived at the gate, I walked out from the airplane. The airport has several terminal buildings connecting to gates, but to the main building, I have to walk outside (2:20pm)

Took stairway down to baggage claim, waited for a while to

Getting a rental car which was a Dodge Charger.

The car had GPS so I just entered the address and headed toward the hotel.  Left the parking and getting on

I had to drive around and around until I can find the parking, got the oarking pass and dropped off my car

Checked in and walked to my friend's restaurant.

Rain came down but I kept walking, only thinking that maybe I should have broght a towel.

Met with my friend, walked to a restaurant with my friend

Had a nice dinner with my friends.

Dinner, beef and fish.

Left the restaurant then decided to hit another place for a drink. Walked back to the hotel around 11:30pm, going to bed around midnight.


3/29 A day in Hawaii

Hawaii Pearl Harbor Visit

Woke up at 5:00am, stretched my body then get ready for the day. Left around 6:30am and drove on the freeway toward Pearl Harbor,

Arrived at 7:30am, got my tour ticket for Arizona Memorial from 7:45am.

Lined up in front of a building, and we were led to a movie theater and watched a short clip,

After coming back to the building. I took a bus to Battleship Missouri (a.k.a. Mighty Mo.) It was a smarter choice since I don't have to worry about the parking

I then took another bus ride to the Pacific Aviation Museum. I walked inside and saw a few planes in display, and there was a hunger nearby to check out more planes.


My lunch, Hawaiian Dog at the museum 11:00am

I had to wait for a while to get a ride back to the parking. By the time when I arrived there, the amount of people has dramatically increased compared to the morning. It's no use to stay any long, so I started the car and left the place. I wanted to stop by at the center part of Hawaii to check out the state capital and others so I found a place to park and made a stop at downtown to check out the

The state capital of Hawaii, and Iolani Palace, and Church and I walked back to the car.



Hiking at Diamond Head

Decided to go to Diamond Head for the rest of the afternoon. I entered the location on the GPS and began driving off the

Drove on freeway then getting off to a local road. I have seen people parking on street and walking on sidewalk along the road so I began to worry that I may have to park outside and

Arrived at the parking. I thought I may have to wait for a while but actually there were plenty of parking available by this time. Parked my car at 1:30pm,

Began walking up, thru a tunnel, going up spiral stairs and made it to the

At Peak around 2:00pm.

Come back to the parking by 2:30pm. It was a one hour trip to the top and back. The temperature went up pretty good so I decided to do a favor by buying a shaved ice. Left the parking and drove back to the hotel


Met with my friend again. He picked me up

Dinner for tonight.

3/30-31 Moving to Japan

To the airport

I woke up around 5:00am, stertched my body, the outside was getting brighter slightly as I was preparing to leave. I wish I had a chance to


To Narita UA903 9:45AM(HWI) - 1:25PM(JST)

Arrived at the airport, returned my rental car and

t and the place had very few stores open. I walked around the airport after checking in but it was too early for any shopping. As I

Grabbed a few items such as tea and coffee then

Get my passport and boarding pass checked, crossed into the otherside.


Getting on a flight to Japan

The plane left the gate and began taxing.

The guy who sat next seat is a professor at University of Japan teaching Japanese and American politics. It's very cool.

The plane took off to west, I can see

The rest of the way, I

The plane approached from the north side, I can tell



To Tokyo

After getting off from the plane, it was something. I felt that this is a really the end of a chapter. It's always the same that I look back on the plane as I was going up the stairs

 I began walking toward immigration, getting a stamp and 

Arrived at Narita, my 20 years of life in the U.S. is over now.

Walked up to a Kuroneko Yamato counter to leave my

Welcomeback, finally.


Getting on Narita Express 30 at 2:40pm Leaving Narita at 2:44pm Arriving at Shinagawa at 3:51pm.

The train moved

Dinner with my friends

Met with my friend at Shinaga station to have coffee then moved on to Akihabara, and Ueno (6:15pm) before joining a dinner at Gotanda.

Getting off at Ueno station and took a walk at Ueno Park. Under the twilight, I saw a lot of peoplegathered, some are for company functions. 

The sun was almost coming down, so I took Yamanote line train and arrived at Gotanda station, looks like many of my friends are getting behind so when I arrived at the restaurant, I was the first one.

Dinner with my Houston friends.

Caught up with my friends and shared my gift from the U.S., especially from Hawaii.

Going Back To Nagoya, Home

After bidding a farewell with my friends, I walked up to the platform of Gotanda and took a local train leaving at 21:57, which made it to Shinagawa station very close to the last Shinkansen train. I then run to a locker and took out my bags, dragged it to the platform of Shinkansen. I did not have time at the gate so I just showed my ticket to get on the last train to Nagoya, Hikari 539 left Shinagawa at 22:07, which was packed and I was standing at the isle of a non-reserved car. I was able to take a seat after stopping at Shizuoka at 22:56. where many people got off. The train arrived at Nagoya at 23:49. I then walked down to subway station and took a train leaving Nagoya at 23:57. When I arrive at Hoshigaoka after midnight, and there is no bus home availabe so I had to use a taxi, paid 1,080 Yen, stepped out from the car and walked to the house. Going to bed by 1:00am. My 20 years of journey is completed today. Tomorow is my Japan day 1 again.

No seat, No room available...


Back to Homepage

Copyright 2016 - Kosuke Ishikawa / Unauthorized copying of contents, partial or whole, is not permitted.