Hempstead, TX (Waller County)

HoustonからUS290で北西に約一時間。 1856年にHouston and Texas Central鉄道の駅予定地周辺をHouston出身のDr. Richard Rodgers PeeblesとJames W. McDadeの二人が「Hempstead町会社」を興して土地を売り始めました。町の名前はPeebles医師のいとこの名前から取っています。1858年に鉄道の駅ができ、またWashington County鉄道がBrenhamに向けて線路を整備しました。交易や物流が行われ、町の産業が急速に発展したために金融業が1906年にできるまでの間、成長の足かせになるという異常な事態でした。1940年代まではスイカの産地として有名でした。(2018年4月訪問)
  1. Ahrenbeck-Urban Home: 1872年に This two-story galleried Greek Revival residence was built about 1872 by German native William Ahrenbeck (1828-1888). A prominent area civic leader and builder, he also served as postmaster and mayor of Hempstead. His daughter Ella Justine Ahrenbeck (1866-1949) lived here following his death. In 1917 she sold the property to businessman R. R. Urban (1873-1930). Additions to the home, which remained in his family until 1965, were built during his ownership.
    Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 1203 13th St Hempstead, TX 77445
  2. Groce Family Plantations: 47158 US-290 BUS Hempstead, TX 77445
  3. Waller County Courthouse: 1955年に建てられた。
  4. Pine Island Baptist Church:  - Brumlow and Pine Island Roads  Organized in the Hopewell schoolhouse, Aug. 13, 1888, with 13 members. Named for a small grove of pine trees nearby. This building erected in 1900.
  5. Former Waller County Post Offices - 12th Street and Hwy 6 - Before the age of modern communication, the postal system was a vital link between isolated rural settlements. Early Waller County post offices were often located in a residence or general store near the local
  6. First United Methodist Church of Hempstead - 1010 Seventh St. - Methodism in Hempstead began circa 1857, shortly after the Hempstead Town Company was founded in December of 1856 to sell lots in the new town. Church histories indicate that an 1859 revival added members
  7. Liendo Plantation - 5 mi. N on FM 1488 to Wycliff Chapel Rd. -  1853 - named for Spanish grantee Justo Leindo, first to own this land. Mansion built by Leonard W. Groce, who surrounded it with model plantation industries.
  8. Charles Donoho Plantation - FM 359 -In this vicinity on the plantation of Charles Donoho the Texas Army under General Sam Houston encamped April 14-15, 1836 before beginning its march to Harrisburg.

Back to ILTX Top / Previous (Hearne, TX) / Next (Henderson, TX)

Copyright 2014 - Kosuke Ishikawa / Unauthorized copying of contents, partial or whole, is not permitted