Temple, TX (Bell County)

1880年にGulf, Colorado and Santa Fe鉄道が線路建設用の宿営地を購入したのが始まりで、技師長のBernard Moore Templeから名前を取りました。
  1. Temple Railroad & Heritage Museum: - 315 W Avenue B Temple, TX 76501
  2. Barclay-Bryan House: Colonial Revival  - 804 S. 25th Temple, TX
  3. C. L. Walker Home: 1912 Will Campbell, who constructed many early homes in Temple, built this residence in 1912 for C.L. Walker (1881-1940) and his wife Daisy (1884-1969). Since 1945 it has been owned by their son C.L. ("Chick") Walker, Jr., and his wife Iladene, who raised their three children here. The elder Walker served as mayor of Temple from 1922 to 1924 and his son was mayor from 1950 to 1952. Both were also City Commissioners and both operated a cotton oil mill. - 1206 N. Third St Temple, TX
  4. Christ Episcopal Church of Temple: ゴシック復古調の教会。1904年に建てられました。 - 300 N. Main Temple, TX
  5. Dr. John S. and Mary McCelvey House:  Completed about 1906 for Dr. John S. McCelvey (1870-1964) and his fiancee, Mary Horne (1881-1960), this house was erected of concrete blocks cast on the Horne family plantation near Waco. The McCelveys built the north wing addition and garage and servants' quarters in 1927. Dr. McCelvey was a prominent local physician affiliated with the King's Daughters Hospital and was active in state medical associations. Mary McCelvey was active in Temple social and civic affairs. The house was designed in an eclectic Gothic style with an asymmetrical plan, wraparound porch with chamferred corners, and stone piers with urns. -  804 N. 11th St.  Temple, TX
  6. Ferguson Home:  Built 1907 for James E. and Miriam A. Ferguson, each later elected twice to governor's office in Texas. Mrs. Ferguson was the first woman elected Governor in any state. During their terms the Texas Highway Department and public schools achieved great importance. This was family home until Jim Ferguson became Governor in 1915, and again from 1917 to 1925, when Mrs. Ferguson was first inaugurated. - 518 N. 7th St. Temple, TX
  7. First United Methodist Church: The Rev. E.R. Barcus served as the first pastor of the congregation, organized in 1882, one year after the city of Temple was founded. The original structure on this site was destroyed by fire in 1911. The present Romanesque Revival building was finished three years later. Architects were Sanguinet & Staats of Fort Worth. For many years civic meetings and school functions were conducted in the sanctuary, the largest in the area. - Temple, TX
  8. James A Fletcher House: Bell County native James Andrew Fletcher (1858-1944) was a leading Temple businessman. In 1907, with his son Omar, he acquired a local business founded in 1881 by his brother-in-law Early Greathouse. It became the nucleus of Fletcher Enterprises, a prominent banking and industrial firm. This residence was designed and constructed for Fletcher and his wife Susan Jane in 1925 by Ernest Scrivener of San Antonio. It features a mixture of styles popular during the era.  - 504 W. Nugent Ave.  Temple, TX
  9. Kyle Hotel: - Temple, TX
  10. Messer-Limmer Farmhouse: - Temple, TX
  11. Omar L.Fletcher Home: Omar L. Fletcher (1887-1975), a native of Bell County, was an industrialist and civic leader. He and his father James Fletcher were the successors to a family business, started in 1881, which became Fletcher Enterprises, a prominent banking and industrial firm. Ernest Scrivener of San Antonio designed and constructed this house for Fletcher in 1924. The Mediterranean influences include the use of white brick, a tiled roof, and an arched entrance.  - 1314. N. 9th St. Temple, TX
  12. Steakley Home:  The F. L. Wright Home was built on old stagecoach road in 1874, seven years before Temple was founded. It is still on original boid d'arc stumps foundation. Has original chimneys, and roof line. The builder was 1867 settler from Alabama, Confederate veteran F. L. Wright. - 2207 Marland Wood Rd.  Temple, TX
  13. Temple Public Library: On March 29, 1900, the Women's Literary Club and the Self Culture Club formed a city federation for the purpose of organizing a public library. Soon the first library opened in a corner of the post office building and later moved to a book store. In 1901 the national library program of steel millionaire Andrew Carnegie funded a library building. The new structure was opened in 1904 in the center of the city park at First and Central Avenue. Citizens headed by Mrs. W.S. Banks held fund drives to operate the facility until 1907 when the city appropriated revenue.
    In 1918, fire destroyed the building. The library reopened in 1924 and was housed in various business until 1929 when it moved into the Municipal Building. Women of the library board ran the program until the city took over in 1954. After a new postal facility was erected in 1963 the city received this 51-year-old post office building for a library. The Renaissance Revival edifice was remodeled in 1964 using funds from a bond issue and the Carnegie Library Association. A memorial room was named for W. Goodrich Jones, one of the library's benefactors. This facility is a member of the Central Texas Library Association and provides a full program. - 101 N. Main  Temple, TX
  14. Wilson, Ralph, Sr. and Sunny, House: - Temple, TX
  15. Site of 1920's Factory of the Temple Monoplane: Pioneer commercial aircraft developed by engineering genius George W. Williams, who with Roy Sanderford, George Carroll, and his brother E.K. Williams, formed Texas Aero Corporation in 1927. The firm obtained (June 23, 1928) Approved Type Certificate No. 45 of the U.S. Department of Commerce, to make and sell the Temple Monoplane. Primarily designed for airmail, this craft was equipped for night flight - an innovation in that era. Despite successes, plant closed after 1929 Wall Street crash and death on Aug. 15, 1930, of George Williams in a student training disaster. (1970)- 3913 Bell Dr.
  16. Santa Fe Memorial Hospital, Inc.: The first hospital in Temple, this institution opened in 1891 for employees of the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad. The first section of the present building, completed in 1908, replaced an earlier frame structure. Until 1948 nursing care was provided by Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word. Early staff members Dr. A.C. Scott, chief surgeon, and Dr. R.R. White later formed the noted Scott and White Clinic. Now a general care facility, Santa Fe Memorial Hospital serves as a reminder of Temple's early development as a railroad town. (1982) - 600 S. 25th St.

Back to ILTX Top / Previous (Taylor, TX) / Next (Terlingua, TX)

Copyright 2015 - Kosuke Ishikawa / Unauthorized copying of contents, partial or whole, is not permitted